Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thankfulness: My Sister


A sister is a gift to the heart,
a friend to the spirit,
a golden thread to the meaning of life.
--Isadora James--



One of the best gifts God gave me is a sister.  She is amazing and I love her more than words can ever genuinely express.  She has a very special place in my heart that can not be replaced or filled by anyone but her.  She is my joy, my pain, my peace, my conspiraror, my love, my counselor, my listener, sometimes the pain my side and yes the list can go on and on. 

A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves
and very much not ourselves - a special kind of double.
~Toni Morrison~

I heard a story from a friend once about her relationship with her sister. She said that they were complete opposites and not very close.  She even remarked that she didnt particularly like her sister though she loved her.  They were just two different people.  I listened and wondered how two people could grow up and seem to resent each other so much. I was amazed because I could remotely imagine life without my sister.


Is solace anywhere more comforting
than in the arms of a sister.
-- Alice Walker--


My sister and I are almost 3 years apart in age.  She is tall and thin and I am short and thick (curvy).  I am single in the city and she is a wife and mother with one on the way - I have a nephew and a neice on the way.  No matter what happens in life she will always be my little taller sister.  The same little sister that got mad at me and sprayed me in the face with Windex when she was about 10.  Funny now but not so funny then. As children we were not much for the bickering and spent alot of time together.  I do not recall ever truly being seperate.  We went through life together always depending and holding onto each other and even went through a little growing pain when I went to college.  It was the first time that we had ever been seperated.  We grew from that situation and it made our relationship stronger.  I am so thankful to have her in my life. 

The best thing about having a sister was that I always had a friend.
~Cali Rae Turner~

We share just about everything and try not to pass too much judgement.  We converse about it all and even try to confort each other through our grief.  At our father's funeral, I recognized how mature and grown up my baby was with her words of faith and love.  It was in that moment that I confirmed how wonderful of a woman she is. She is strong and courageous.  She is a wonderful mother and great person (though she is a bit mean and short with this pregnancy - lol).  She is still pretty awesome and I do not believe that I tell her enough how thankful that I am that God chose me to have her in my life.

Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other.
--Carol Saline--

With the end of the year drawing near I am taking the time to reflect upon all my blessings.  There are so many things to be thankful and grateful for being blessed.  No matter your faith or beliefs there is so much good in life.  Sometimes you have to take moment away from everything and recognize all that is good. 


So this post is dedicated to my sister. 
For the woman that she is and for the woman that she is in my life.  I love you so much and I pray that we forever stay close and always keep in mind that if nothing else, we always have each other.  Thank you for always being there for me even when I am as wrong as two left shoes.  Thank you for believing in me when I do not believe in myself.  THank you for coming to me when you cannot turn to anyone else.  Thank you for trusting me with your heart always.

Thankfulness = My Sister
There is no other love like it.

4 comments:

Don said...

This is a truly truly TRULY inspiring post. I love the sentiments expressed through your words, your emotions, the meaningful quotes, the pics (so divine the pic of you with your arm around your baby sister). Though my sister and I live in different states for the past 22 years, I love her and embrace both the good and bad memories of her.

I would like to believe that my two younger daughters - 12 and 10, will one day feel the same about one another. Like the way you feel about yours.

Prince is jammin' in the background!

Freckles said...

Thank you so much Don. It came from a special place. I love that you are inspired by my words. I live in Atlanta for the moment and my sister is in Los Angeles but we talk all the time. She is truly the best. Though we may disagree or feel some kind of way sometimes - I still appreciate her. I think that its something worth sharing. Share your thoughts with your sister.

Keep your girls close. I hope that same for them too. Mine is truly a gift from God. I am better with her in my life.

I LOVE PRINCE (He is my favorite). This is a feel good place so please free to come back anytime.

JStar said...

Awwww this is a great post!! I have two daughters who are 3 years apart :) (16 and 13) I know they love eachother but they dont show it at all...They fight and mess with each other all day long....I cant wait until they reach this stage of appreciation :)

Freckles said...

Jstar, they will. It takes time and its tough. When our roles redefined - it was beautiful. She is my heart and my soul. I love her so much.

COPYRIGHT

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected