Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Inspiration: Love, curiosity, freckles, and doubt."

I was recently asked via email where my blog name came from.  I guess I was not truly aware that people were not completely familiar with this famous quote but I guess it  didnt touch you it was irrelevant.  I came across this one day, I was an English major in college, and I fell in love with Dorothy Parker.  She was a woman with a mouth on her and she was a talented writed.  I respect her work and try to be more honest as I write.  She had a way with words and sarcasm. I inspire to be writer in my own life and hope that I can be so witty and honest.
"Four be the things I'd been better without: Love, curiosity, freckles, and doubt."
~ Dorothy Parker ~
Gifted satirist Dorothy Rothschild Parker (1893-1967), best remembered for her uncanny wit, was probably kidding... about the freckles. "I don't care what is written about me so long as it isn't true," she confessed with typical dry humor.  Renowned writer Dorothy Parker was born Dorothy Rothschild in Long Branch, N.J.. Her mother died shortly after her birth, leaving her to be raised by her father and stepmother, both of whom she grew to detest. Her unhappiness at home contributed largely to the literary work she would soon produce.
"There's a helluva distance between wisecracking and wit. Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words."
A homegrown Oscar Wilde with razor-sharp humor, Parker was born to a wealthy Jewish merchant in New Jersey. Nearsighted, she was the one who wrote, "Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses."  She described herself as "a plain disagreeable child with stringy hair and a yen to write poetry." Hired by Vogue and then Vanity Fair, Parker's published words made her a celebrity and she became passionately active in liberal causes.  After being terminated from these positions due to her acerbic writings, she went to work as an editor for the newly founded New Yorker magazine. There she published poems that comically depicted her own failed romances. As the toast of New York, the versatile Parker wrote articles for The New Yorker for 32 years. She created poetry and Hollywood screenplays.
"I'd like to have money. And I'd like to be a good writer. These two can come together, and I hope they will, but if that's too adorable, I'd rather have money," she said.
In 1926, Parker published her first collection of poems entitled Enough Rope, which sold 47,000 copies and was an immediate success. After her divorce from her first husband, Parker was clouded in despair and thoughts of suicide, topics that she freely wrote about.  Parker gave outspoken voice to the time she lived, where women had just earned the vote, journalism was almost exclusively a male occupation, and America's social system was changing to accommodate the equal rights revolution.  "Four be the things I am wiser to know," she said. "Idleness, sorrow, a friend, and a foe." Always bold, stubborn, and radical, she once observed, "Art is a form of catharsis." With deliberate passion, she left her estate to help leader Martin Luther King, Jr.'s cause for civil rights.  Through her suicide attempts, broken marriages, love affairs and heartache, Dorothy Parker captured her pain in her witty poems, short stories, and Hollywood scripts. She died of a heart attack in 1967 at age 73.

INVENTORY
Four be the things I am wiser to know: Idleness, sorrow, a friend, and a foe.
Four be the things I’d been better without: Love, curiosity, freckles, and doubt.
Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
Three be the things I shall have till I die: Laughter and hope and a sock in the eye.
~ Dorothy Parker ~
 
I named my blog this because it reigns true in my spirit.  It was play on words and inspiration.  My life is full ove love, curiosity and plenty of doubt.  Not too mention I have these freckles across my face and most of my body.  They are more prominent on my face and they can't be missed. I can not speak for anyone but me but I have had my moment where I felt that I would be better off with any of those.  Well maybe not the freckles.  I hae embraced them.  In fact, I am not me without them and I am not sure if I would be better without them.  They seem to work for me and encourage my individuality.  They keep me inspired and most of all they keep me close to my daddy... RIP Daddy Freckles
 
So here is a bit more insight about me and where the title comes from.  Thanks for asking. 
Now tell me this,  What inspires you?

No comments:

COPYRIGHT

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected